The following information is for informational or entertainment purposes only and does not constitute pet medical advice. Clever Fur is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Learn more.
You are concerned about your pet dogs’ auditory organs and you should be as it is not news that ear infections in dogs are very common. If left unattended to, it can get worse with the infection going as deep into the inner ear, causing injuries and damages putting your dog in danger of going deaf.
The ear canal is a dark damp place and is conducive for bacteria and fungi to grow. So it is important that it is regularly taken care of.
Using a good dog ear cleaner regularly is a preventive measure you can take to stop your dog from getting an ear infection. Breeds with floppy ears like the spaniels, and dogs like poodles, golden retrievers and labradors are at risk of getting ear infection as a result of their anatomy and the kinds of activities like swimming that they actively participate in.
What To Find In A Dog Ear Cleaner
Pick A Vet-Approved Ear Cleaning Solution
There are a lot of products out there claiming to be the best ear-cleaning solution for your dogs. But I’d advise you to ignore them and take your veterinarian’s advice on the safest and best ear-cleaning solution so as not to compound your dog’s problem by introducing solutions that might irritate the skin in your pooches’ ears.
Liquid ear-cleaning solutions are better effective than use of wipes. The anatomy of a dog’s ear is deep and narrow and there’s only so much wipes it can do but the liquid solution is able to reach further distances in the ear.
On squirting the liquid into their ear canal, all the while gently massaging the base of their ear. Afterwards let your dog shake it out to get out all of the pent up debris.
Checking The Label
It is important to check what the ear cleaner is made up of before using it for your dog. One of the contents to check out is the tea tree oil. It’s been shown that some dogs have bad reactions to it.
These ear cleaners usually contain Salicylic acid and lactic acid. These agents are very antimicrobial, and they work really well at taking care of bacterial and some fungal infections. The Ketoconazole ingredient treats fungal infections, Hydrocortisone helps to ameliorate itchiness as well.
Your Dog’s Ear Needs
You should know that some ear cleaners are best for wax removal and others are better suited for drying the ear. If you’re not certain on what exactly to get, consult your veterinarian.
Best Dog Ear Cleaner:
1. The Virbac Epi-Otic Advanced Cleaner
Virbac Epi-Otic Advanced Cleaner
This cleaner is very popular amongst vets and it comes highly recommended. It’s an excellent product for dogs that have ear problems. It doesn’t affect the overall pH of the inner ear and it does its work duly as an ear cleaner without any hiccups. In addition to having been around for decades, the manufacturers have been able to keep up the quality and its efficiency remains top notch. It is gentle on the skin, easy to use and works perfectly.
● It has a really nice citrus smell.
● Comes packed in two bottle sizes.
● It is great for dogs that have very sensitive ears, chronic ear infections and also allergies.
● It removes wax with ease.
● It contains salicylic acid which acts as a drying agent used to dry out your dog’s ear canal.
2. The Zymox Ear Cleaner
This is an excellent over the counter option. It works pretty well and has been scientifically undergone tests to certify it as an ear cleaner for dogs. It is quite popular amongst veterinarian recommendations for the best ear cleaners meant for dogs.
● It is made up of enzymes present that functions for the disinfection of the ear canal.
● It helps to effectively fight infections of bacteria, fungal and yeast nature.
● It is very gentle, not irritating and can be used safely as a regular ear cleaner for your dog.
● It has the hydrocortisone component which serves to ameliorate itching.
This ear cleaning product works fine in treating minor ear infections and might not be as effective in severe auditory issues. Consult with your veterinarian whether or not this product is the appropriate solution for your dog’s ear infection.
The Hydrocortisone contained in the zymox ear cleaner is a bit too concentrated and when used too often might be too strong for your canines.
3. Great Ears Multi-Symptom Dog Ear Cleaner
Some dogs have ears that are a complete mess and pose a struggle to treat. Luckily, this Great Ears Multi-Symptom Dog Ear Cleaner is able to carry out its job cleaning, dirty, smelly and itchy ears in just one solution. It is made of purely 100% natural ingredients. It does the job right away and very effectively too.
● This product has been manufactured recognising dog breeds that have big floppy ears like the poodle, golden retrievers, spaniels, basset hounds and so on.
● It is a gentle solution and is a safe option for regular and frequent cleaning and it aims to prevent buildup of wax in the ear, and also to give no room for infections of yeast and bacteria.
● The ingredients are largely plant-based and being that natural, they are safe for regular and frequent use.
● The tip of the bottle is modelled in a way that makes for easy use.
● Made with purely natural materials it still keeps your dog’s ears clean without the use of chemical ingredients like sulphates, phosphates or alcohol. This product should be used everyday for a three-day period or at least until a large amount of the debris disappears.
● It has a very mild fragrance and is not harsh for your dog’s nose.
4. The MalAcetic Otic Cleanser
MalAcetic Otic Cleanser
The Malacetic Otic Cleanser has been proven to work better with alleviating bacteria infections. This product does not mess up the pH balance in your dog’s ear as it’s contents include acetic and boric acid that help maintain these pH levels.
● Its antimicrobial characteristics help to prevent and treat effectively bacteria infections ranging from mild to moderate.
● It is very easy to use.
● It comes in three bottle sizes of 4oz, 8oz, and 16oz.
The smell can be a bit pungent and unpleasant.
It’s not an all-rounder and cannot prevent all the kinds of different ear infections.
On customers’ reviews it has been reported not to work well with their dogs skin.
The Best Dog Ear Cleaner Made For Fungal Infections
● TrizULTRA + Keto Flush
The TrizULTRA Keto Flush
This product works to take care of fungal infections in your dog’s ear. It comes highly recommended and makes the top of our list. It is very gentle and can be used as a precursive treatment just before antibiotics are given in much more severe fungal ear infections. It contains a decent amount of antifungal elements and has been proven to be effective in tackling fungal infections.
● It has no fragrances and it makes for a good option for dogs who have sensitive and heightened nasal senses.
● It has ketoconazole in its formula which is an antifungal agent.
● This product is versatile and can be used on other animals as well.
It’s tailor-made for fungal infections only and will not work for tackling bacterial ear infections. It is important that your pooches’ eae condition is properly diagnosed and the causative microorganism confirmed before you go ahead and purchase any ear cleaning solutions.
It comes a bit more expensive but it’s value is worth the price.
Best Ear Cleaner For Dogs That Have Waxy Ears
● Vetoquinol Vet Solutions Ear Cleaning Solution
The Vetoquinol Vet Solutions Ear Cleaning Solution
If your dog’s ears are almost always filled with wax then this ear cleaning solution is the perfect solution. It is gentle and safe to use a couple times a day.
● It is very gentle.
● It comes in multiple sized containers.
● It works well not only for dogs, but can be put to effective use on other animals as well.
● The formula in this product works to clean, dry, and deodorize your dog’s ear, keeping them clean, wax-free and odorless.
It has a very strong and pungent smell that keeps on circulating around the room even after use and the bottle has been closed up.
It works fine for dewaxing but cannot deal with bacteria and yeast infections.
Best Affordable Dog Ear Cleaners
● Pet MD Veterinary Tris Flush
This one is for your pockets. Want to save some money and still get value? Then the Pet MD Veterinary Tris Flush is the thing for your canine friend.
It is very easy to use and it contains antibiotic and antifungal agents that function to alleviate any kind of mild ear infections that your dog suffers from.
● It is a gentle solution.
● Works to remove odors.
● It is an easy-to-use ear cleaning solution.
● It can be used for other animals besides dogs and works just as effectively.
It has a very strong fragrance and might not be nice for dogs that have sensitive nasal sensors.
It is advisable to clean your dog’s ears regularly especially if they’ve had a history with an ear infection. Always check in with your veterinarian before making health decisions with your pup so you’ll be properly guided to making the best decisions for them.