The following information is for informational or entertainment purposes only and does not constitute pet medical advice. Clever Fur is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Learn more.
A very important part of a dog’s grooming is nail trimming to avoid breaking and injuries. Dog Nails have blood vessels in them so extra care must be taking when trimming their nails. It must not be trimmed or cut too low as it could result in bleeding and pains.
In order to reduce pain, discomfort, and bleeding during nail trimming, several methods and equipment have been developed to aid this process.
One of this equipment is a nail grinder, a grooming tool that serves as an alternative to nail clippers. It is known to be an efficient and painless method of trimming dog nails.
Instead of chopping off the nails, a canine nail grinder will file the nails continuously at high speed till the nails are reduced. It uses a rounded grinder that is covered with sandpaper-like materials to file off the nails.
Generally, a nail grinder is a slower but safer tool for trimming a dog’s paw nails. Injuries, pain, and bleeding are reduced as well.
Advantages of Nail Grinders
1. Nail grinders are very helpful for dog owners with fearful dogs. Most dogs at one point or another have experienced pain during nail grooming especially if they are personally groomed and not professionally groomed. While some dogs may forget the pain till the next time they feel it, others hold on to the pain and become fearful of nail grooming.
Nail clippers help to remove that fear as it makes it relatively easier to groom their nails without cutting into their blood vessels and causing them pain.
2. Nail grinders produce nails with smooth edges. After trimming a dog’s nail with nail grinders, it appears as being filed. Your dog’s nails will sure look nicer because of the smooth edges.
3. This tool is very great for people who have shaky and unsteady hands as it does not require aim or precision. All that is needed is just to place the nail grinder on the nails and let it grind till you reach the required length.
4. It reduces cracking and pinching. Nail clippers pinch down dog nails before chopping it up and this can not only cause pain, but it can cause the nails to crack.
Nail grinders do not cause this much pain or fuss and it definitely does not cause the nails to be cracked.
How To Use Dog Nail Grinders
There are different types of nail grinders, so while shopping for nail grinders it is best to choose the easiest and most suitable ones. Even before using them, it is important to gather as much information on them so that they can be used appropriately.
The first step to using a nail grinder is to get your dog accustomed to it. You can achieve this by allowing your dog to sniff and lick it ahead of use. You should also encourage them by giving them treats.
Your dog should also be made to get used to the sound of the grinders by turning it off and on before use. Indicate that you are about to use it on them by tapping it on their nails and watching their reaction.
The whole process of getting them used to the nail grinder could take days or weeks depending on the type of dog and their former experiences with nail grooming.
Dog nails should be ground once or twice a month depending on how fast they grow and some other factors like their age, how often they go for walks etc.
To use the nail grinders just place them at the tip of the dog’s nails and let it start filing off. It has speed control levels so you can start slow and gradually increase the speed.
Tips For Grinding Dog Nails
Some simple tips or guidelines to follow when grinding your dog’s nails are:
1. Make sure that your dog is in a comfortable position. They may lie or sit down whichever they prefer but it is important to make sure that they are comfortable to prevent accidents.
2. Grind only a small amount at a time. Do not try to rush the process and be mindful of your dog’s nail cuticle so that you do not cause injuries to them.
3. Have a strong and firm grip on the device. It is advisable to hold it towards the top as it will be firmer and less likely to slip out of place.
4. Be cautious of their hair and fur, so that they do not get stuck inside the nail grinders. A good method will be to wear socks on their paws making sure that only their nails come out of the socks, then you can grind away without fear of entangling their hair or fur in the device.
5. The grinders also get hot so it is not advisable to place them against the nails for long periods of time. Ideally, it should only be placed against the nails for about a second or two before it is removed and then continued again till the dog’s nails are shortened.
top five Best Dog Nail Grinder
There are different dog nail grinders with each having its own unique set of advantages and disadvantages. Here are our picks for the top dog nail grinder.
Some of the best dog nail grinders are:
1. Dremel 7300-PT (Our Top Pick)
This is a very popular dog nail grinder that is made by the popular Dremel brand. It includes multiple speeds and a rechargeable battery.
The features of this nail grinder include:
- Three-speed levels; high, low, and off.
- A 45-degree paw guard and particle or dust collection cup.
- It requires four AA batteries which are not included with the grinder.
- It involves a 2-year warranty
- It can be used with various Dremel brand’s sanding drums and bands.
2. Casufy Dog Nail Grinder
This is our first runner-up, it’s an amazing pet nail grinder with lots of positive reviews on Amazon. It has 3 ports of varying sizes, which means you can use it for small, medium, and large dogs. It is cordless with a rechargeable that can last up to two hours.
Another good advantage of this brand is the fact that it is relatively quiet, meaning it won’t scare your dog off with a mechanical “whirring” sound
Features of this nail grinder include:
- Advanced 2-Speed Switch & 3 Grinding Ports
- Super Low Noise & Vibration
- Rechargeable & Portable
- Safe, Effective & Precise Trimming
3. Hertzko Electric Pet Nail Grinder
This device is a versatile nail trimmer that is quite affordable, colorful, and functional. It is among the most compact and lightweight nail grinders there is.
The features of this dog nail grinder include:
- A diamond bit grinder
- Three different nail grinding ports for grinding dog nails of different sizes.
- Low noise and low vibration design.
- USB charging cable for recharging.
- It is very light, compact, and attractive.
- It is extremely quiet and has a low vibration.
- It contains protective guards that help to not only protect the dog’s paw but to also make cleaning up easier.
- It is quite slow and takes time to grind down the dog nails.
- Due to its multiple nail grinding ports, it is not quite powerful enough to grind some dog’s nails.
4. Casifor Dog Nail Grinder
Casifor dog nail grinder is another excellent pick if you’re in the market for a dog nail grinder. It is also cheaper than a lot of other brands on our list but it comes loaded with lots of cool features you might love.
For starters, Casifor can last for up to 10 hours on a single charge. Say bye to frequent charges or buying of new batteries. Casifor has a wide range of speed selection and that allows you grind your pet’s nail and a speed they are most comfortable with.
Their motors produce very little noise when in action so you can rest assured that the device won’t scare your dog.
They also have three different port sizes for small, medium, and large pets.
5. Oster Gentle Paws Nail Grinder
This nail grinder is a classic grinder with two-speed levels and several band attachments that can be used depending on the size of the pet’s claws. It is extremely quiet and that helps to alleviate your dog’s anxiety. It has a protective guard that helps to prevent you from mistakenly grinding up to the dog’s nail cuticle.
It also has different stone bands for various nail grinding options, however, one drawback I noticed is the fact that it doesn’t have a waste collector as such, it allows nail shavings to fallout and litter the ground
Features of this nail grinder include:
- Two speed levels.
- Adjustable safety guard.
- Two coarse stone bands and one fine stone band.
- Whisper quiet sound design.