The following information is for informational or entertainment purposes only and does not constitute pet medical advice. Clever Fur is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Learn more.
Maybe you just found out that your dog’s skin feels dry and you’re wondering why or how to go about solving this issue as a dry flaky skin on your dog, you must have heard, may prove to be a much more serious condition than you may let on. Whether this is caused due to bacterial infections or just use of bad bath products, this article helps you find the best dog shampoos to keep your dog skin looking better and not all dry and flaky.
A dry skin on your pooch can be very irritating and frustrating to clean, not to mention how uncomfortable it leaves your Dog almost always scratching and itching at it.
There are a couple solutions to solving this problem as we have taken time out to sort out carefully the best shampoo products for your canine friend.
best dog shampoo for dry skin
● The Buddy Wash Original Lavender & Mint Dog Shampoo & Conditioner – Yay! Comes in first place
● Douxo Chlorhexidine PS Dog & Cat Shampoo – This one is just as important as the second man that landed on the moon lol. Comes in runner up.
● Burt’s Bees Oatmeal Shampoo With Colloidal Oat Flour & Honey For Dogs – Frugal? Cheap? Easy on the pockets? Yes. This one comes in as the best budget shampoo around.
● HyLyt Hypoallergenic Shampoo With Essential Fatty Acids For Dogs Cats.
● The TropiClean Hypo-Allergenic Gentle Coconut Puppy & Kitten Shampoo.
● The Zymox Enzymatic Dog & Cat Shampoo.
● The Vet’s Best Allergy Itch Relief Shampoo For Dogs.
● The Vetoquinol Vet Solutions For Itchy, Dry Skin Aloe Vera & Oatmeal Soap-Free Dog Shampoo.
● Paws & Pals Oatmeal, Shea Butter & Aloe Vera Shampoo
Shampoos that are made for dogs are designed to work on dry skin and eliminate itching. Some of these shampoos do more than just give surface solutions to dry skin most especially if the issue is as a result of a bacterial or fungal infection they can help fix it.
Before picking the right shampoo for your dog it is important to diagnose the root cause of their dry and flaky skin, what degree is it on, and perceived allergies your dog might have. It is important to do your research before you go ahead with home remedy actions. Otherwise consult your veterinarian for better advice.
1. The Buddy Wash Original Lavender & Mint Dog Shampoo & Conditioner – Best Overall Shampoo
This shampoo is manufactured with all natural ingredients and has time and over again proven the most effective solution for dealing with dry skin on your dog.
Its features include it being all natural, containing ingredients like Aloe Vera, Peppermint, Oatmeal, Eucalyptus. It is soap free, scented and very much safe to use.
This shampoo is specially formulated with materials that are soothing on your dogs skin, reduces the level of itching, hastens the healing of parts of the skin that have been damaged as a result of frequently scratching. It’s after use comes with a very pleasant scent as well. As you should know, dogs have heightened nasal senses and using strongly scented materials on them might be too harsh for them.
This shampoo is void of synthetic materials and is free of phosphates, parabens and other elements that may not be helpful in keeping your dog healthy. It is environmentally friendly and very much biodegradable and is ideal for taking care of dry and flaky skin in your dog ranging from little to mild causes.
They come easily affordable and the value is still top notch.
Manufactured from All-natural ingredients and is void of synthetic/artificial materials.
Very much biodegradable as well.
It’s after use has a vanilla and almond scent and it might be too strong for your dog.
This shampoo works well for superficial skin issues and is not designed for tackling underlying problems like bacterial or fungal infections.
If you are an all natural person and you’re out seeking for a product that is friendly on your dog’s skin and is void of chemicals and synthetic materials, the. The buddy wash all-natural shampoo would be the perfect choice for getting rid of that dry and flaky skin in your pooch.
2. Douxo Chlorhexidine PS Dog & Cat Shampoo – Runner Up
The Douxo Chlorhexidine shampoo is a medicated shampoo and it offers treatments to more severe epidermal issues. It comes highly recommended and is very effective in combating dry and flaky skin in your dog..
This product features includes:
Purely medicated antiseptic solution
It contains measured proportions: chlorhexidine, climbazole, and phytosphingosine.
It is much more than just a regular shampoo and it presents itself as an antiseptic solution. It is free from chemicals that might irritate your dog’s skin and it has been proven to be highly effective in treating dry and itchy skin in your dogs. The materials contained in it in the form of Chlorhexidine and climbazole combat bacterial and fungal cells that may have been the cause of your dog’s itchy skin, reducing the levels of skin irritation and helps your dog’s skin to stay moisturised.
This shampoo is also scented and you should know if your dog might be sensitive to these kinds of scents. Note that when making use of the shampoo on your dog try as much as possible not to get any of the liquid in their eyes or mouths as it can be dangerous. If in any case that happens apply a first instance treatment by rinsing thoroughly with rushing water and then monitor closely for any onset of adverse effects.
It combats and kills bacteria and fungi cells.
It provides very good moisturizing and anti-inflammatory effects.
Is more than a superficial shampoo treatment as it treats the underlying causes of dry and flaky skins by attacking the causative agents all the while keeping the skin fresh and duly moisturised.
It is not made from 100% all-natural ingredients.
The scent contained might be too harsh for your dog.
This shampoo with its antiseptic properties comes in handy in treating serious skin issues.
3. The Burt’s Bees Oatmeal Shampoo With Colloidal Oat Flour & Honey For Dogs
This shampoo goes easily in the pockets, doesn’t break the bank and also does it job very well. A large part if it is made from all natural ingredients and contains soothing materials that eliminates dry and itchy skin.
It is completely soap-free, contains honey, and green tea extracts as well. The Burt bees shampoo is unscented and is a safe and healthy option for your dog’s skin. It is not the best in combating bacterial and fungal infections but it is formulated in such a way that it provides a gentle feel on your dog’s skin and can relieve itchiness too.
It is very affordable
Contains about 97 percent in natural ingredients and is void of chemical materials or any elements that can prove toxic to your dog.
It is unscented and can be used for most dogs.
It does not provide solutions against sjim conditions caused by bacterial or fungal infections.
The Burt Bees are not as effective as the medicated shampoos.
This shampoo has been proven safe for regular and prolonged use as it is free of any toxic chemicals and is very gentle on your dog’s skin eliminating all forms of further irritation. The Burt’s Bees are effective in managing dry and flaky skin, they come cheap and are recommended for pet owners.
If you are looking for an effective way to keep on top of your dog’s dry skin without spending a fortune, then Burt’s Bees is an excellent option. Thanks to its gentle formulation, this shampoo is safe for regular use and won’t further dry or irritate your dog’s skin.
Other shampoo products include:
● HyLyt Hypoallergenic Shampoo With Essential Fatty Acids For Dogs & Cats – Attacks dandruff and dry skin vehemently. A shampoo worthy of mention.
● The TropiClean Hypo-Allergenic Gentle Coconut Puppy & Kitten Shampoo – For delicate skins? Dermal sensitivity? Puppies? A very big yes to all three questions. Works beautifully on young pups with delicate skins.
● The Zymox Enzymatic Dog & Cat Shampoo – As far as enzymatic shampoos go for pets Zymox is ever dependable.
● The Vet’s Best Allergy Itch Relief Shampoo For Dogs – Are Your Dog Prone to allergies? Scared? Don’t be. This product comes highly recommended and is a good, safe and healthy option for your pooch.
● The Vetoquinol Vet Solutions For Itchy, Dry Skin Aloe Vera & Oatmeal Soap-Free Dog Shampoo – Shampoo for routine baths and regular grooming? The Vetoquinol Vet Solutions can be put to regular use without having to worry about adverse reactions due to prolonged and frequent usage.
● Paws & Pals Oatmeal, Shea Butter & Aloe Vera Shampoo – Who says dogs don’t need moisturisers? These loyal creatures deserve all the luxury they can get when it comes to keeping their skin and coat healthy and smooth to the touch. The Paws and Pals Oatmeal, Shea butter and Aloe Vera Shampoo also contains moisturising elements for your dog’s delicate skin.
It is always important to diagnose the root problem of your dog’s itchy skin before going out to find a solution to it. There are numerous products on the market that claim to offer insane results so it is wise to have a guideline at least to lead you in making the right choices and if in any case you come to a T-junction and you’re unsure of which route to take, you can always set up a meet with your vet to discuss your concerns and progressively make the right decision.